What We Wish Our Friends Knew, Would Say, Or Wouldn't Say
1. We as PFOX parents LOVE our same gender attracted kids. Don't
tell us to love them anyway. Of course we do!
2. Unlike what we thought, it is NOT about sex at all. It is about unfulfilled wants and needs.
3. NO ONE wants to have same gender attraction.
4. NO ONE is born "gay." Honest homosexuals will tell you they know they were not born that way. We can show you the proof, so don't say, "Oh, just accept it, they can't help it." The "world" has told all of us a big lie.
5. Yet, conversely, they CAN'T help it. We know that. We know how they all struggled for years and years to get rid of these feelings, before giving up.
6. If you call them a name: faggot, queer, sissy…..YOU are part of the problem. You have driven them deeper and deeper into keeping their deep dark "secret." You have forced them to find friends who "understand" them – other strugglers.
7. Don't tell them to "shake it off." They have tried that. They have prayed and cried for years. It doesn't just "go away."
8. And DON'T think they can just get married and it will go away. That is absolutely the proven worst thing that could happen.
9. And don't tell us it's okay. We love them, but we don't have to accept this as the final act in their lives. True love tells us to try and help them: with good information, good friends, and good support. Whatever it takes. We know they may never change, but that doesn't mean we have to just accept it. Would you accept your child's cancer and never take him to the doctor? Would you approve of his drug addiction, so he would keep loving you? Real parents do not act that way. We won't either.
10. DO try to learn along with us. Do ask us how we are…how our child is. Do pray with us. We know we can't pray it away, but we know we can pray for the right thing to do….for the right things to happen in their lives.
11. We do feel that our SGA children are the choicest of spirits. They are the most sensitive, kind and intelligent. They can endure this special trial and be true children of God in the end.